Try These Old Fashion Tomato Soups At Your House For Something Delicious

Monday, July 2, 2012
I love soups, especially homemade ones. And some of my favorites are the ones from my 1950s childhood that have continued on as I have made them for my children and grandchildren. Homegrown tomatoes were a big part of my childhood. Our gardens were full of them in the summertime and we canned them to enjoy all winter in our soups and stews. Today I know longer have a garden or home canned fruits and vegetables so I resort to items from the grocer's shelves. Either way, these soups are very good. The Tomato Bisque is an old homemade version that is a favorite since it has a potato, one of my favorite foods, in it! The second recipe is one my late mother got from a Hunt's Tomato Sauce can when I was a child in the 1950s. It is as good today as it was then. It was always a good way to warm up during those cold Indiana winters of my childhood. It is still a favorite with my own grandchildren today. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

TOMATO BISQUE
2 tbsp butter
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cups peeled and diced potato
4 chicken bouillon cubes
3 1/2 cups water
1 bay leaf
1 tsp basil
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 can (28-oz) whole tomatoes, do not drain
4 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp sugar
sour cream for garnish, if desired

In a large saucepan, melt the butter then add the onion and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes until transluscent. Stir occasionally during the cooking so as not to burn.

Add the diced potatoes, bouillon, water, and seasonings to the onion. Cover the pan and cook for 15 minutes. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and sugar to the potato/onion mixture. Stir well to blend. Replace lid and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove the bay leaf.

Pour into blend in small batches and puree until smooth and thick. Pour into soup bowls and top with sour cream, if desired.

I like mine served with crackers or a crusty bread. Now that I am diabetic, it is usually a crusty whole-grain bread.

This soup can be made ahead of time, stored in the refrigerator and reheated to serve hot or may be served cold on hot summer days.

1950s HOMEMADE TOMATO SOUP
2 Tablesp. Wesson, pure vegetable oil
1/4 cup diced onion
1/4 cup diced carrot
1/4 cup diced celery
2 8-oz. cans Hunt's Tomato Sauce
1/2 teasp. whole pepper
1/8 teasp. thyme
2 sprigs parsley
3 cups beef stock or bouillon
1/4 teasp. salt
1/2 teasp. pepper

Cook onion, carrot and celery in oil 5 minutes. Add Hunt's Tomato Sauce, seasonings, and parsley. Cover and simmer 1 hour. Strain and add beef stock, salt, and pepper. Heat together. Makes 4 servings.